Find a Doctor
Request a Callback
Rheumatology is one of the emerging and fastest growing specialties of modern medicine in the Ivy Hospital. This department deals with diseases of the musculoskeletal system as well as multi-system inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases are those where the body produces antibodies against its own cells as it fails to recognize them as part of 'Self'. Largely associated with the elderly, rheumatic diseases have now begun to affect certain young individuals as well. One of the most common rheumatic diseases is rheumatoid arthritis- an autoimmune disease that causes joint inflammation and pain. The Rheumatology Department of the Ivy Hospital is capable of handling all kinds of serious rheumatologic disorders. Multi-disciplinary integrated care is required for such patients and the same is available here with multi-disciplinary specialties such as internal medicine, nephrology, cardiology, pulmonology, ophthalmology and neurology to provide the best possible treatment for each patient. The Rheumatology Department at Ivy Hospital aims:
• To treat Rheumatologic disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and spondyloarthritis by internationally accepted and scientifically validated guidelines and recommendations.
• To offer patient specific treatment plans which are prepared in consultation with the patient, family and treating doctors.
• To conduct diagnostic invasive procedures such as muscle biopsy which help to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis of idiopathic inflammatory myositis (dermatomyositis and polymyositis). Working with other specialties such as orthopedics, the Department of Rheumatology has successfully treated various forms of rheumatic disorders. A number of treatments are offered at Ivy Hospitals for the following diseases:
• Rheumatoid Arthritis Dermatomyositis
• Seronegative spondyloarthritis including ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, reactive arthritis
• Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
• Systemic lupus erythematosus
Senior Consultant Internal Medicine & Rheumatology
Ivy Hospital, Mohali